Anyone ever heard of having a bad reaction to cerium oxide? I was taking a load of rocks out of my tumbler after polishing in cerium oxide and the next day my hands started itching. They have now been swollen and itching for three days. I have been in contact with the polish once before with no problems, but this time something went wrong.
I'm pretty sure it was the cerium oxide and not something else, because the red line in my wrist where it starts is exactly where the water line of the tumbler was.
Post by BearCreekLapidary on Jul 31, 2004 14:36:42 GMT -5
Just out of curriosity, what kind of material did you have in the tumbler?
I have been cutting stones for well over 24 years and I never thought I would have had a reaction to any rock ... I was WRONG!
Larimar tears me up! It's a highly fiberous material and with wet hands the micro fibers set into the pores of my skin and inflames the skin tissue, causes an adverse red rash and comes with a severe itch. My reaction time was well into the fourth day before things started to settle back to normal. Needless to say, I don't cut much Larimar any more!
It may have been the material you are working with, if it is highly fiberous material. I would recommend a pair of rubber gloves as well.
Do you have your Cerium Oxide in an air tight container? Is it possible that it absorbed something into it, before it was used? I would definitely keep an eye on the situation. As people can develop allergic reactions to just about anything.
Hope everything works out for you.
I have seen paintings in the sky, created by the hands of GOD.
Post by dogparkmom on Jul 31, 2004 18:25:55 GMT -5
Hi folks, I am a real newbie - no tumbler, just a dremel (variable speed) and semiprecious beads I use to make jewelry. Some of the beads are not well polished, so last week I sat on the porch on a beautiful day and used toothpaste and a dremel on the beads. Looking for the proper polishing compound, I found you guys. I sent for some cerium oxide and tin oxide and they arrived yesterday. Both boxes have warning stickers to use gloves and a face mask when using. I need to learn more about these compunds before I open them up, but it sounds from Cricket's experience that they can be irritants.
Cricket, it is impossible to react to something with an allergy until you have been exposed to it. so you don't have problems on the first exposure, only on later ones. It is also common for the reaction to be more severe each time you are exposed, once your body has decided itis an allergen. Whatever caused the dermatitis, I wish you a speedy recovery! Nancy
God of Multiple Parallel Universes Full of Rocks and Apprentice to THE ONE.
Post by krazydiamond on Aug 1, 2004 14:37:19 GMT -5
that's odd, there were no warnings on the Tin Oxide i just got from Kingsley North although it DID occur to me that shipping pounds of white powder through the US Postal Service these days must be tricky business.
i've had the grit/prepolish and polish dry out my hands, but i wash up pretty well after contact and use moisturizer afterwards. if you have a lot of allergies and/or have sensitive skin, i guess rubber gloves are the way to go. otherwise just use it with respect and in the manner for which it is intended, (no eating or snorting the polish, guys..... ) and life should be beautiful or at least the stones should be....
Come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!
drocknut: I hope it's not a brutal one Ed.
Mar 29, 2015 1:33:45 GMT -5
snowmom: fossilman, I'm with Tammy. that's good stuff! Grapefruit juice is my favorite drink.
Mar 29, 2015 9:53:25 GMT -5
drocknut: I don't care for grapefruit juice, too bitter for me even with a lot of sugar added.
Mar 29, 2015 16:43:28 GMT -5
Fossilman: I couldn't drink it even if I did like it-bad reaction with my meds and grapefruit juice...
Mar 29, 2015 17:14:26 GMT -5
drocknut: I understand that, grapefruit juice does not mix well with lots of meds.
Mar 29, 2015 17:41:38 GMT -5
lparker: It does mix well with Black Velvet
Mar 29, 2015 18:42:42 GMT -5
Shotgunner: Mike, winter is the season to grow potatos in SoCal. Lettuce greens too. Tomatoes are a perennial here. Plant once and harvest for years. Just cut back the plants at the end of winter for new growth in spring.
Mar 29, 2015 18:53:48 GMT -5
Fossilman: Damn,that's the way to grow Scott........................
Mar 29, 2015 20:41:22 GMT -5
mr.mohs: grapefruit & Black Velvet! now that's good medicine
Mar 30, 2015 10:07:50 GMT -5
meviva: I just signed up for a cab class…it starts today….I'm so excited!!!!
Mar 30, 2015 13:02:48 GMT -5
drocknut: WTG meviva, hope you have a great time.
Mar 30, 2015 14:57:26 GMT -5
Fossilman: Ed,Tequila is good medicine....LOL
Mar 30, 2015 16:54:07 GMT -5
mr.mohs: right on Mike! bypass the grapefruit juice --straight to the hard stuff. at this age whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger...mostly
Mar 30, 2015 18:48:50 GMT -5
Fossilman: I'm not much on beer,hate the taste (bitter)....Will have one on a hot day though..LOL Tequila has always been my choice of liquor,when I drank...The bad thing about it,it makes you braver than you should be-LMAO..
Mar 31, 2015 11:10:14 GMT -5
drocknut: Does tequila really make your clothes fall off like the song says?
Mar 31, 2015 11:43:43 GMT -5
catmandewe: Oh yes, and sometimes it is not a pretty sight!
Mar 31, 2015 14:52:05 GMT -5
catmandewe: It also makes my motorcycle go faster
Mar 31, 2015 14:52:33 GMT -5
mr.mohs: all the above and Montezuma Revenge
Mar 31, 2015 16:59:45 GMT -5
bsky4463: Hey Mohs...saw your shout out in an earlier thread. On the coast for another month then back to MT. Not on the forum as much when I am out here. Thanks for the "heart"-felt howdy from the Superstitions. Cheers
Mar 31, 2015 17:57:05 GMT -5
Fossilman: Catching any fish,while you are out this way???
Mar 31, 2015 18:01:44 GMT -5